ICAO held its second Symposium on Machine Readable Travel Documents (MRTDs), Biometrics and Security from 6 to 8 September 2006 with an Exhibition complementing the Symposium and highlighting important products and services related to MRTDs, biometric identification, and border control inspection systems. Simultaneous interpretation was provided in six languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish) for the over 500 participants.
Photos of the event may be accessed under the "Documentation" tab above.
The programme for the first two days included a continuation of the discussions of the previous event, along with new topics and special emphasis on the importance of ICAO-standard, secure travel documents and biometric identification in national aviation security programmes. On the third day a workshop was offered, focussing on the technical issues of upgrading to ePassports and the functions and usage of the ICAO Public Key Directory (PKD), a cooperative project of ICAO member States to enable readers of ePassports worldwide to verify the origin and integrity of the data in a chip.
Symposium focused on:
- World aviation security and the importance of MRTDs and biometrics in national security programmes;
- Features and benefits of globally interoperable ICAO-compliant Machine Readable Travel Documents (MRTDs), including biometric enabled versions with enhanced ID confirmation;
- Authenticity, Integrity, Identity Management, and Privacy protection in the issuance and use of MRTDs;
- Biometrics and supporting document reading systems;
- Border control inspection and security, including airline and airport involvement;
- Essential travel document security measures to address identity theft, illegal migration and trans-border crime; and
- Benefits for travellers of ICAO-Standard travel documents, in particular biometric-enabled eMRPs and official e-ID documents.