The On-line Update of the ICAO Aviation Language Symposium will be available shortly
|ICAO language proficiency requirements|
|Time and place|
|ICAO Home page|
ICAO language proficiency requirements
The world’s aviation community is invited to a three-day symposium on the ICAO language proficiency requirements that has been convened by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
This symposium is part of a worldwide educational and awareness campaign to introduce the ICAO language proficiency requirements and to provide practical information to facilitate implementation of the Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) on the ICAO language proficiency requirements contained in recent amendments to Annexes 1, 6, 10 and 11 that became applicable on 27 November 2003.
More information on the ICAO language proficiency requirements can be found on the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page on Personnel Licensing.
The symposium is aimed at managers from government, airlines and air traffic control services who will be in charge of the implementation of the new requirements and for members of the training industry who are interested in providing language testing and training services to civil aviation. It will feature prominent speakers from industry, government and academia.
- Presentation of ICAO language proficiency requirements
- Language testing:
- Characteristics of effective language testing in the aviation context
- Case studies
- How a Civil Aviation Authority can implement language testing
- Language training:
- Fundamental principles of language teaching and learning
- Available materials and resources
- Technology in language teaching
- Case studies
- ICAO Initiatives and Support
More specific information on the topics can be found in the Agenda of the Symposium.
Time and place
The ICAO Aviation Language Symposium will be held at ICAO Headquarters in Montreal, Canada, from 1 to 3 September 2004. Please follow the links for general information on the Symposium, accommodations and the City of Montreal.
There will be no charge for participants nominated from States and invited Organizations. The symposium will also be open to other participants who will be required to pay a registration fee of US $250.
Registration is available until 31 August 2004. On-site registration will be available on Wednesday, 1 September 2004 from 9:30 to 12:30 hrs.
To register, please download the Registration Form and send the completed form to the Symposium Secretary.
- Invitation Letter
- An invitation letter to the Symposium has been sent to ICAO Contracting States and selected international organizations in March 2004. Participants registering as individuals do not need the letter of invitation.
- A manual on the implementation of ICAO Language Proficiency Standards is in preparation and should be completed in 2004.
- Regional Seminars
- Language Proficiency Seminars will be organized in the various ICAO regions after the Symposium. These Seminars will provide those who are not able to attend the Symposium with an opportunity to become familiar with the new ICAO Standards and supporting implementation strategies. Regional seminars will include workshops to allow participants to gain hands-on experience in assessing language training and testing programmes.
The First Regional Seminar for the Asia Pacific Region will be held in Tokyo, Japan from 8 to 10 December 2004 and is hosted by the Japanese Civil Aviation Bureau. Details on this seminar will be provided in due time by ICAO Asia Pacific Regional Office in Bangkok.
For more information please contact: